The holidays are here! With the hustle and bustle, it is easy to forget to take care of yourself. We’ve put together five things you can do to keep pace with the holidays - (without your health taking last place!)
- Start the day with breakfast. Include at least one serving of vegetables and fruit. Try poached eggs and steamed kale, some nut butter on whole grain toast or a “green” smoothie made from organic soy or almond milk, yogurt, greens and berries. Add avocado, hemp hearts, chia seeds and psyllium husk for a nutritional boost. Be sure to include protein, fibre and healthy fat in your meals and snacks as it anchors your energy and helps keep your energy levels more even throughout the day. Nuts and seeds make a great on-the-go snack.
- Eat before you go holiday shopping. If you are hungry, you are less likely to make good decisions which can end up costing you in more ways than dollars.
- When celebrating with friends, family or coworkers, eat a small healthy snack before heading out, carrots and hummus or some soup. Arrive at the party hungry and ready to eat but not famished. Before you pick up your plate, scope out the holiday offerings and make a choice to choose the items that you would rank a 10 out of 10. This way, you’ll choose only those “bites” you will truly enjoy. Savour each bite, knowing that other holiday celebrations are around the corner.
- Sneak in activity whenever and wherever you can. Busy schedules and holiday get-togethers make it hard to fit in fitness. Set a goal to get out for some fresh air at least once a day (twice is twice as nice). If before or after work or school is out of the question, get out for twenty minutes at lunch. Anything goes – walking, jogging, ice skating, raking leaves and so on. Too busy for that – try a walking meeting – the merits of walking meeting are phenomenal.
- Take a break from the hustle and bustle, relax with good book, run a bubble bath or meditate. You and your health are worth it.
From all of us to all of you we wish you a very healthy holiday.