Well, it is upon us: Cold and flu season. It happens every year but still manages to take us by surprise. Apart from the usual, but highly effective, hand washing and/or hand sanitizer use, staying clear of friends, family and coworkers who are sick and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth among other things, there are other, less-talked-about ideas for decreasing your chance of getting cold and flu this season. Here are a couple of our favourites:
- Take a probiotic to reduce the duration and severity of the common cold.
- Enjoy organic mushrooms like Shiitake and Reishi to fight bacteria and viruses.
- Unwind: Meditation is a wonderful way to centre and restore your energy.
- Incorporate herbs and spices into your cooking: turmeric, oregano, mustard, thyme, garlic. Spicy foods have the added benefit of clearing nasal congestion.
- Use a neti pot to thin and clear mucous from your nasal cavities
- Watch your sugar intake - high intakes of sugar can weaken your body’s immune response. Halloween is over, time to cut out the sugar. Watch for the amount of added sugar you eat and drink. Read food labels.
Just to be complete about things, we should also add:
- Make sure you get enough vitamin C and zinc – if you do find yourself in the unfortunate situation of a cold, it may, like Echinacea lessen your symptoms and shorten your cold by a few days.
- Get outdoors and do an activity outdoors that you enjoy whether it be walking, jogging, skating, snowshoeing or building an epic snowman – go out and have fun! Be sure to keep hydration in mind.
- All of that outdoor fresh air will help you sleep. Get enough sleep (7-8 hours per night – or more if you need it.)
- Remember to supplement with vitamin D in winter months.
A visit to the Healthy Living, Produce and Deli Departments of Pomme Natural Market is an excellent way to cold proof your cold and flu season.