This deliciously spiced and moist cake is perfect for the season and teams beautifully with a cup of tea or other festive holiday drink. Don’t let the name dissuade you – the use of whipping cream instead of butter results in a cake that is much lower in fat than its all butter counterpart.
1 c whipping cream
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1½ c flour
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamom
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp allspice
⅛ tsp cloves
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1. Whip cream until stiff peaks form.
2. Add eggs one at a time beating after each egg until light and fluffy.
3. Add sugar in three (3) additions.
4. Add vanilla.
5. In a small bowl, mix ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Remove ½ teaspoon for topping.
6. Sift flour, salt, baking powder and spice mixture. Add to whipping cream, egg and sugar mixture until well combined.
7. Grease a 9-inch round or square cake pan.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out.
9. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Mix 3 tbsp sugar and ½ tsp reserved spice.
11. Sprinkle spiced sugar over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Allow to cool.