5 ½ c water, chicken stock or vegetable stock (unsalted)
2 c fine ground cornmeal
½ c chickpea or garfava bean flour*
½ - ¾ tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
½ tsp cracked pepper
¼ c nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
½ c parmesan cheese (optional)
¼ c finely chopped sundried tomatoes
¼ c finely chopped green onions
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
*chickpea, garfava, lentil, soy, quinoa or black, white or whole bean flours can be used.
- Mince garlic and set aside to let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix salt, cornmeal and chickpea or garfava bean flour together.
- Finely chop sundried tomatoes, green onions and fresh basil.
- In a large saucepan, add water, salt, cornmeal and chickpea or garfava bean flour into the liquid and whisk to fully combine and remove any lumps. On medium heat, bring mixture to a boil. Let boil for about 2 minutes until thick and bubbly. This will remove any beany flavour.
- Stir in the cracked pepper, nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese, sundried tomatoes, green onions, garlic and fresh basil.
- Line a sided baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour mixture onto parchment paper and spread it until it is even, flat and about ½ inch thick.
- Let cool slightly and then place in the fridge until cold.
- Slice into sticks that are ½ inch wide and ½ inch thick and about 3 inches long.
- Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with oil on all slides.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake fries for about 20 minutes. Flip fries and bake for about another 20 minutes or until fries are golden brown and crispy. Serve with basil mayo.
1 oz (28g) fresh basil
⅔ c mayonnaise
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
Cracked fresh pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- Crush garlic and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor or with a stick beater, combine all ingredients and beat until combined and desired consistency.
- Adjust lemon, salt, and pepper to taste.
Serves 6 and is really good with our Summer BBQ Salad!