This minestrone is warm, filling and delicious which will lift your spirits... and it has protein, vitamins and minerals to help keep your body fuelled and your energy up through these shorter, darker winter days.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped
3 medium carrots chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
2 cups diced zucchini
2 cups of green beans chopped
1 orange or red pepper
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 - 32 oz carton of organic vegetable broth
1 - 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 cups of water
3 1/2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp granulated sugar - can omit too
lots of salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup of dry quinoa
1 (15oz) can cannellini beans - drain and rinse
1 (15oz) can chick peas - drain and rinse
2 -3 cups of fresh chopped kale. The more the better!
Cheese for garnish, feta is great or shredded parmesan
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook for five mins until soft. Add in all other veggies (other than kale, which is added at end) and garlic and cook another few minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, water, spices, sugar and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add dry quinoa, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add beans and chick peas, kale and cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes until beans have warmed and kale is wilted.
- Garnish with feta cheese or shredded parmesan and enjoy!