We're in peak barbeque season but you don't have to be vegetarian to love these yummy, oven-baked chickpea burgers!
1 cup ground toasted almonds
14 oz can of organic chickpeas
4 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1 small sweet onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and paper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 350*. Once preheated place whole almonds onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush almonds with olive oil and toast for 8 minutes, turning over twice. Almonds should be a shade or two darker once finished—be sure to turn over often as to not burn. Set aside to cool.
2) In food processor, blend all the other ingredients and mix until you reach preferred texture. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
3) With a mortar and pestle, crush almonds to your liking. We like ours chunky for added texture in the burger!
4) Fold almonds into chickpea mixture with a spatula, and then form into 4-5 patties by hand.
5) Brush patties with olive oil and bake at 375* on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 22-25 minutes turning over once during baking.
Get as creative as you want with the toppings! Serve on a bun with fresh tomato, arugula and avocado, or maybe add some homemade tzatziki, or, if you prefer a lighter option, serve on a bed of fresh local organic greens and a drizzle of vinaigrette. Your imagination and personal preferences are the only limits!