The sun is vital to life, photosynthesis and heat for one; not to mention its vitamin D-making potential and mood boosting power. The tricky bit about the sun; however, is its inherent risk for skin damage. Safe and savvy sun chasers “seek shade, slip on loose fitting cover ups, slap on hats and slop on sunscreen (and moisturizer)” but do you know that you can protect your skin and eyes from the inside out and not just from the outside in?
Protect your skin and eyes from the inside out with these notable nutrients:
- Lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamins c and e as well as beta-carotene are powerful antioxidants that may reduce the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in cold water fish and some vegetable oils like flax, olive, walnut and canola can alleviate dryness of the eyes and is great for your skin, too.
- Zinc, abundant in seafood, meat, nuts, whole and fortified grains
- Fibre – who knew?! Soluble fibre aids in the elimination of toxins and slows the glycemic response and insoluble fibre speeds up helps move food and waste through your body. Foods naturally high in fibre are healthy for our bodies, supporting heart health as well as healthy eyes.
So seek, slip, slap, slop (and sip water, too) all summer long and be good to your body from the inside out. Grab some of these top summer time picks for eye and skin health:
- Leafy green vegetables, orange, red and purple peppers
- Kiwi, cantaloupe and avocado
- Eggs (especially yolks)
- Fish, nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, cashews and pumpkin seeds
- Lean cuts of beef, seafood and turkey
- High fibre foods like oats, lentils, peas and beans, whole grains like oat, barley, quinoa, veggies and fruit
Now, go enjoy the great outdoors, especially when the weather is nice just remember to save your skin.